November 04, 2020
The National Committee on Accreditation (NCA), revised the Canadian Criminal Law syllabus ahead of the January 2021 NCA exam diet- the revised syllabus can be found on the NCA website.
The NCA Guides reviewed the syllabus vis a vis the June 2020 version. The purpose of this is to highlight the modifications with the aim of guiding students in their preparation for the examinations.
There are 32 chapters in the syllabus. 20 of those chapters were revised to either remove or add cases and/or edit reference to pages in either the Roach or Coughlan textbook.
LIST OF KEY CHANGES-
- All references to 3rd edition of Steve Coughlan Criminal Procedure textbook have been deleted. (Students to purchase the 4th edition)
- Kent Roach et al, Cases and Materials on Criminal Procedure had been changed from 11th ed 2015 to 12th ed 2020
- Cap 2 (b) – deleted Roach pp 33-91; replaced with Roach pp 55-91, pp 33 -35
- Cap 5 (a) – deleted R v. J. D and R v. Gunning; replaced with R v. D (J) and Roach pp 92-95
- Cap 5 (b) – deleted R v. Marshall
- Cap 5 (c) – added Roach pp 476 – 483
- Cap 5 (d) – deleted R v. Smithers
- Cap 5 (e) – added CC sections 215, 217 & 217.1
- Cap 6 (a) – deleted R v. Murray, R v. Roks; added R v. Hibbert and Regina v. Buzzanga and Durocher
- Cap 6 (b) – added Roach pp.228-235 discussing mistake of fact and mixed subjective and objective fault requirements
- Cap 6 (e) – added R. v. Zora 2020 SCC 14 at paras 36-51
- Cap 7 – added R v. Javanmardi 2019 SCC 54
- Cap 13 – added Roach pp.311-313
- Cap 14 – deleted R v. Swaby and R v. Fontaine; revised Roach pp 334 – 350 to pp. 334-349
- Cap 16 – added R. v. Sullivan 2020 ONCA 333
- Cap 17 – added R. v. Khill 2020 ONCA 151 leave to appeal granted
- Cap 20 – added R. v Simard, 2019 BCSC 531 leave to appeal denied and R v Land 2019 ONCA 39
- Cap 21 – added R v Ahmad 2020 SCC 11
- Cap 22 – deleted Lilly v. The Queen; added Regina v. Howson, 1966 CanLII 285 (ON CA)
- Cap 23 (b) – deleted R v. Fontaine; revised Roach pp 61-64 to Roach pp. 55-64
- Cap 24 – deleted R v. Suberu, R v. Aucion, R v. Macdonald; added R. v. Le, 2019 SCC 34, R. v. Mills, 2019 SCC 22
- Cap 31 – deleted R v. Nasogaluak, R v. Ferguson, R v. Morrisey, R v. Nur, R v. Pham; added R. v. Lloyd 2016 SCC 13
We hope you find this useful.
All the best!